Monday, October 24, 2011

Weariness, a Gift of God

I could not rest so well in the evening after a long day of work if I were not weary. God grants us weariness in service for our work so that we might rest. When we get to Heaven I do not think that we will grow weary, but I also do not think we will have any trouble resting in the presence of the Lord at that point. But here and now, is this fallen world, God has blessed us with weariness and has granted us the ability to rest after our labors are done. To rest is a holy thing, God created the world, and then He rested. If we were never weary, I doubt we would ever so fully realize our need for resting in the presence of God. This week has been really hard on me, and I have been exhausted. It is not as though I have done a lot, at least, it is hard for me to account for anything I have really done, but I have been so warn down and weary and I couldn't understand why. I felt that maybe I had done something wrong that let this weariness in, if I had worked all day on something tangible I would believe that I had earned my rest, But all I did was stand firm under the abuse of hard words and accusations that have been thrown at me over and over this week. That's not much right? (well, ok, so maybe its a lot...) But I haven't felt like I was justified in my weariness, like I had to earn more of it as though it was a prize that I had to be worthy enough to earn. But at the same time feeling guilty like I had done something wrong to earn the weariness. I have gone back a forth in a struggle feeling like weariness was a good gift that I didn't deserve, and at the same time it was something to be ashamed of and I'd gotten my weariness because I did deserve it.
Then this morning as I was thinking about it God smiled at me and told me a secret, "weariness is a gift of God". Praise God! Hallelujah! Praise his name forever, for he has given us weariness granted our hearts the gift of coming to the end of ourselves and be able to see, so clearly, or desire and need to rest in God. Hallelujah! :) May the name of our Lord be praised! Thank you Lord, for rest, and for the weariness that is our God-given-heart crying out that we have reached the end and it is a good time to rest. This is a very good thing :) I am glad for my weariness, and glad that God gives us rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment